Tuesday, September 11, 2012

#34 HOT OVER 40! REALITY SHOW BEAUTY - AHEM! 9/28/12

More info click onto



IMDB www.imdb.me/joannabonaro

BEHIND THE K****N KURTAIN  Or (Any) Reality TV Comeliness
---- Real vs Reel beauty


I was getting an infusion and the new young nurse queried, "How does KK look so great when she wakes up?"  I am the only "actress" patient of the infusion unit;  therefore the de facto "expert."  I said to her, "What do you mean?" she replied, "Well she looks soooo beautiful as soon as she is out of bed, do you know any secrets? I never look like that waking up."  I stated matter of factly, "No one does. The secret is hair and makeup and lighting 2 hours before her head hits the pillow to be filmed, oooh soooo dreamily waking up.  Have you noticed the pillowcase is perfect too?"

Nearly toppling out of her rolling stool and into my lap she said, "Impossible!"

I explained what was obvious to me. "Don't you realize that a reality show has nothing to do with reality?"  She was agog. 
Completely  stunned.  She refused to believe me. 
"Really? ", she almost squealled, "Ooohhh nooo, I don't understand. REALLEE?"
 
Do I tear or tug at this point? I decided on a splash of cold water REAL-ity.
I said evenly,   "Look closely.  Those are fake eyelashes honey.  Nobody's skin is that perfect in Hdtv land unless they have special makeup that makes your skin poreless,  botox to make you seamless and subtle highlights and shadows to make you glow... in all the right places.  Never mind the unwrinkled sheets."  
"But" she gasped,  "she is just waking up!"
I saw I needed to be more gentle tearing away the pink tissue of tv land.  One must be careful where fantasies abound....
I explained as carefully as I could that these "reality" shows are scripted. 
"WHAT! How could that be?" she gawped.  
I was thinking, "How can THIS be? " I figured everyone knew none of this was really "real".
Much to my surprise and chagrin I was very, very wrong.   

peek-a-boo-boudoir photography studio
Illinois
Now I like the K's 'kause they are kurvy, and though pretty, I like the fact that they don't fit the hollywood sKary sKinny, beautiful beyond measure standard -  They are savvy, successful businesswomen and I am k-k-keen to that. And Heck! Some reality TV can be kick-ass fun! However, they are as manufactured and marketed as any young or older female with powerful, helpful fleets of "peeps" behind them as any.  I am including K-mom too. This was "A peak behind the camera's curtain" moment if ever there was one. 

This young nurse, (feeling substandard and inadequate, thankyou pop culture!), needed a gentle hand to steer her away from swallowing all the malarcky and understand that she was perfect just the way she was.  Refreshingly pretty, a healthy weight, and a lovely charming personality along with a generous spirit.  In other words, a real beauty and beautiful human being. 

To my horror, another nurse eavesdropped - she is 48.  She believed the same thing.  My heart hiccuped.  "Oh dear," I said to myself, "this is not good at all.  These women are feeling so terrible about themselves." 
My Joan of Arc warrior spirit was surfacing rapidly.
My internal neon billboard blinked, THESE WOMEN MUST BE SAVED!

So I  explained, tenderly, (I did afterall, have a needle stuck in my veins that would have to be removed) how it all worked.  Episode Pitches, writers throwing out ideas, fabricated scenarios, pre-determined drama, scripted key lines, molding an image of glamour and excitement, along with hair, makeup and don't forget wardrobe.  This applies to all of reality TV. There are courses now to teach aspiring celebrealities how to audition and behave. The K's are exemplified here solely because of this nurse's query.

Oh, by the way, I now had an audience of 5 nurses. They all looked a bit stunned.
Yet at the end of this "enlightenment intervention" they told me they now felt relieved.  You see, they thought they were doing something wrong.  They thought the people on TV were just superior and special - and they..... weren't.  These are NURSES for goodness sake who take care of others when they are ill, sick and weak and THESE SPLENDID females were feeling inadequate as women!  I left thinking, "well that is what the blog is all about.  Urging Women to feel satisfied with themselves, to enjoy their uniqueness, and to live life with gusto. "

So please ladies, if you get nothing else from my blogs, know that my intention is to highlight enjoying ones life, and loving yourself by eating healthily, keeping cardio fit, and enjoying everyday, no matter what anyone else says or does.
Forget the movies, the magazines, the models and manufactured icons.
Look at the lovely, kind, smart, funny and real women around you and follow their examples.

You only have one life. 
Live, laugh, love.  Fully, deeply, truly.

Go make plans with a group of gals you love right now and toast yourselves. Do it and create a wonderful memory!       
STRIVE TO FLOURISH!  HUGS JOANNA


Joanna (unretouched ladies- veins, wrinkles, freckles and all,however will admit to makeup and great lighting)

No comments:

Post a Comment